/// Redline Division Motorsports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  WelcomeWelcome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Unique/notable engines

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
AndrewG
Redlining into Fourth
Redlining into Fourth

Male
Number of posts : 144
Your Ride : 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Personal Title : Slow
Registration date : 2008-09-28

Unique/notable engines Empty
PostSubject: Unique/notable engines   Unique/notable engines EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 9:50 am

Alright, I'm bored, and this forum is dragging. I know at least Nate will have to throw his supra in, and that's kool, that's what this is for. I thought about throwing this under general, but this seems a good catch-all as well. I don't care if it gets moved.

Anyway, there's some good engines out there, and there's some GREAT engines. We all have our own ideas of what makes a great engine, and I'd like to know what people think. There are a lot of oddball engines out there that may not be great, but are worth mentioning just to stretch the brain a little. Ever heard of a V5? Yeah, rediculous, but it may be out there.

Post some shit up. I don't care if it's your current car, a dream car, or a weedeater. When you do, post up details about it if you can. Wiki it or something- I don't want just names.

Also, if you think someone is wrong about something, say it. Nothing like a good argument, right?
Back to top Go down
mr taco
Redlining into Fourth
Redlining into Fourth
mr taco

Male
Number of posts : 210
Your Ride : 2 toyotas, one is slow, the other is slower
Personal Title : desperately begging for parts
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Unique/notable engines   Unique/notable engines EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 7:29 pm

i know this sounds cliche, but i have to throw the 2jz out there.
here's why:

its one of the few engines with a "square" balance. it has the same amount of stroke as it does bore. at an 86mm wide and long, its rotation is balanced as perfectly as possible. this obviously makes for a ton of potential for power. not to mention that it came stock with forged internals capable of 700+ horsepower. the head flows like a race engine from the factory, and leaves little room for improvement. later models even had VVT-i, variable valve timing it which added a 15hp. it is hands-down the best motor to drop in a car as is and just turn up the boost.

OK
please no flaming, i hate to admit it, but another great engine is the honda D series.
obviously you cant slap on a turbo and get 300hp and drive it for more than 5 miles, BUT if you want to talk about volumetric efficiency, this is your motor. D series are all single cam 4cyls that produce between 89-140hp, and i wont mention the torque =D. Take the d16z6 for example, i think it makes around 126chp with 1.6l. most rival engines from other manufactures couldnt squeeze 100 out of the same displacement WITH 2 CAMS *cough* celica *cough* these are damn efficient engines people, and they can be made for some serious fucking power! 300hp d series' with drag radials can hang with 4-500hp domestics, thats a huge gap!
Back to top Go down
AndrewG
Redlining into Fourth
Redlining into Fourth

Male

PostSubject: Re: Unique/notable engines   Unique/notable engines EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 10:08 am

STFU NUB!
No, just kidding. I'm glad you mentioned the 2jz, cause I wasn't gonna do it myself. I love the hell out of that engine.

While on honda's, D series were definatly the shit, but B series engines were pretty damn nice too. If I remember right, some of the 1.6 B16s were pushing 160, weren't they? That's not what I like though.

Most of us have fucked with hondas at one point or another, and B was always the goal. It didn't matter what car you had, whether it was a civic or an integra, there was a b series out there. The best part about all this- a shit ton of the parts were interchangable. I used to dream of fixing up the b18a in my integra with rods and cranks from other b series. People could take the heads off of a vtec engine and put them on a non vtec, and with little modification have it up and running. Sure, there may be problems, but hey, it ran. If you took the time to do it right you would be problem free, and you could do this with parts almost exclusively from other b series engines.

There was always an option to change the way your car drove with those engines. At one point I was going to put in a fairly wild cam in the b18a and leave off vtec just for that extra torque I had down low. Another was to throw the gsr engine in, which was all around a good motor imo. The other one I toyed with was the thought of throwing in a b16- I'd loose a shit ton of torque, but the hp gain would be large and fun as hell on a track, if not in every day driving. Straight lines are for pussies, right? (no offense, domestics).
Back to top Go down
mr taco
Redlining into Fourth
Redlining into Fourth
mr taco

Male

PostSubject: Re: Unique/notable engines   Unique/notable engines EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 12:05 pm

agreed, b is an excellent platform too
Back to top Go down
Luda Kim
Administrator
Administrator
Luda Kim

Female
Number of posts : 273
Your Ride : 92 Prelude
Personal Title : Illest Prelude Ninja
Registration date : 2008-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Unique/notable engines   Unique/notable engines EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 12:42 pm

Any b- or D-series is pretty impressive... but hey, you've got the infamous H-series which pwns all prelude owners. I see some pretty crazy shit done with H-series' cars.
Back to top Go down
http://keesterphotography.wordpress.com
AndrewG
Redlining into Fourth
Redlining into Fourth

Male

PostSubject: Re: Unique/notable engines   Unique/notable engines EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 2:32 pm

How about all honda engines in general?
Seriously though, vtec has its ups and downs, but most everyone agrees it's pretty innovative and definatly helped push forward technology. You can name off all these engines, and we're still missing the best one of all, the nsx. V-6 with vtec? Yeah, they're kickass engines in a kickass car. Hell, Takata was running NA against turboed cars due to restrictions placed on them and they were STILL an excellent team.
Back to top Go down
mr taco
Redlining into Fourth
Redlining into Fourth
mr taco

Male

PostSubject: Re: Unique/notable engines   Unique/notable engines EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 2:37 pm

=D fuckin honduhs

the 3sgte is an amazing motor as well, its not as popular but its very capable.

its a 2.0l 4cyl turbo engine from the mr2's and the celica gt4's. it used the ct26 turbo from the supra 7mgte. the intake manifold had 2 ports per cylinder to aid in low-end torque.

like the 2jz, it was a "square engine, " at 86mm stroke and bore. its as close to balanced as you can get with out being a rotary =D

internals are already forged, and capable of high power. the JDM 3s came with 250hp, and the USDM came with an even 200hp, 200ft/lbs of torque.

this engine has been used in several Le Mans cars and have done very well. rally versions of the motor have had 300ish hp with over 600ft/lbs of torque which boggles my mind =]

believe it or not, the famous "tom's" mkiv supra turned a 3sgte 90 degrees for a rwd conversion for the All Japan Touring Car Championship. this version made 480hp 470ft/lbs, but it was a very efficient powerband. its odd that they swapped the 2jz for the 3s, but it makes sense for waht they're doing. here's why:

a) They can make the hp goal with the 3S
b) The 3S is lighter than the 2JZ
c) they can sit the 3S all the way to the firewall and safeguard the radiator and intercooler d) the lower torque of the 3S makes it far more driveable
e) they can run more boost , if running less displacement .

fuck your honda 4cylinders Very Happy
Back to top Go down
AndrewG
Redlining into Fourth
Redlining into Fourth

Male

PostSubject: Re: Unique/notable engines   Unique/notable engines EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 9:54 am

Woo, Nate. Bringing the pain.. or knowledge. Whatever.
How about some big engines? Where's the v8 love? I figured at least one mustang would chime in on how "there's no replacement for displacement"

How about the S65B40? Taken from wiki... "delivers 420 DIN-hp (309 kW, 414 SAE-hp) at 8,300 rpm and peak torque is 400 N·m (295 ft·lbf) at 3,900 rpm" and also "The engine weighs 15 kg (33 lb) less than the outgoing six cylinder for a total weight of 202 kg (445 lb)"

That shit is hot right there. High revving v8, anyone? I'll take two. The yaris could use some more power. Even better, it's in the new M3. Classy car with a kickass engine- sounds like a winning combo to me. Have to say I'd take that over the new Nissan everyone is raving about... looks a hell of a lot more smooth, and while maybe not as fast, I bet that engine is great for everyday driveability.
Back to top Go down
mr taco
Redlining into Fourth
Redlining into Fourth
mr taco

Male

PostSubject: Re: Unique/notable engines   Unique/notable engines EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 11:41 am

i love the idea of small displacement motors with lots of cylinders. it just makes more sense really.

i really hope someone says something about domestic v8's. i would love to open that can of worms =]
Back to top Go down
Luda Kim
Administrator
Administrator
Luda Kim

Female

PostSubject: Re: Unique/notable engines   Unique/notable engines EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 2:18 pm

V12, anyone? We're talkin' DB9s, Testarossas, damn near every Lamborghini, the Maserati MC12, a McLaren F1, and hell... even the Q7 by Audi! SCREW YOUR DOMESTICS WHEN AN SUV CAN BUST YOUR ASS ;].

Mmm.. basically two straight 6's, right? I mean, that's some manpower.

And for giggles... a v12 made of paper:
http://www.yeesjob.com/images/V12-Engine-04.JPG

(It's a huge picture.. otherwise I'd post it as an actual image.)
Back to top Go down
AndrewG
Redlining into Fourth
Redlining into Fourth

Male

PostSubject: Re: Unique/notable engines   Unique/notable engines EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 2:26 pm

I wont lie, I like the rumble of old v8s, but for all that displacement the power just isn't there without a shit ton of modifications. Maybe someone will correct me on that, but meh, sounds like all the domestics are off playing with themselves or fixing something else that broke. Wink

Now the new v8s there's something to be said for. How about the ford GT? Supercharged to about 500 horsepower, and it still has that beautiful sound- trust me, I've had the pleasure of running into one a couple times over the past months. I'd drive the hell out of one of those... the only downside is that it is a huge fuel hog at 12/19 highway mpg. At least gas is going down, right?
Back to top Go down
Luda Kim
Administrator
Administrator
Luda Kim

Female

PostSubject: Re: Unique/notable engines   Unique/notable engines EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 2:35 pm

Thank God gasoline prices are plunging because Kim2 wouldn't be able to drive anywhere if it went up any higher Laughing
Back to top Go down
AndrewG
Redlining into Fourth
Redlining into Fourth

Male

PostSubject: Re: Unique/notable engines   Unique/notable engines EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 11:19 am

Wiki again. Zach and D will get a kick out of this, as we have talked about it before. Never knew they existed until a while back when reading about bike engines.

Volkswagen introduced the first V5 engine, though this engine is not a true twin-bank V engine, but rather a VR5, or staggered bank straight five engine, and therefore not a true V5. It does not have one cylinder bank with 2 cylinders and one with 3; rather, it has all 5 cylinders sharing a single bank. The engine is derived from the VR6, and is thus a staggered 5, and has much in common with Volkswagen's earlier straight 5 developed in the 1980's for the Passat and Audi Quattro.

Volkswagen's VR5 is a 2.3 litre gasoline engine descending directly from the older VR6 from which VW removed a cylinder creating the first block to use five cylinders in a V design. The first version, with 2.3 L capacity, was capable of 150 PS (148 hp/110 kW) and had a maximum torque of 209 N·m (154 ft·lbf). It was introduced in the Passat in 1997, and later in the Golf, Bora (aka Jetta) and the spanish Seat Toledo (Typ 1M) in 1999. In 2000 the head was updated with twin cams, and was blessed with 20 variable timed valves raising power to 170bhp.

Honda used a V5 in its MotoGP race bike, the RC211V for the 2002-2006 seasons. This is a 990 cc engine with an angle of 75.5 degrees.
Back to top Go down
Luda Kim
Administrator
Administrator
Luda Kim

Female

PostSubject: Re: Unique/notable engines   Unique/notable engines EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 11:30 am

Unique/notable engines 110401side4

Honnnnnduh! That thing looks wicked ridiculous. I'd love to drive the MotoGP just to see what a V5 felt like.
Back to top Go down
mr taco
Redlining into Fourth
Redlining into Fourth
mr taco

Male

PostSubject: Re: Unique/notable engines   Unique/notable engines EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 11:44 am

i saw my co-worker's carb'd 6v 3cylinder for the first time yesterday, i laughed so fucking hard. he didnt have any idea what i was laughing at....

fucking geo metro
Back to top Go down
AndrewG
Redlining into Fourth
Redlining into Fourth

Male

PostSubject: Re: Unique/notable engines   Unique/notable engines EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 12:40 pm

Hey, 3 cylinder for the win! Haven't you ever heard of triumph? How bout the 675, or the famous speed triple? Some of the best damn bikes out there- the torque curve is amazing, and they give out awesome power. If you're looking for a hooligan bike, the speed triple will wheelie like no other. :P

As for driving a moto gp bike, I'm out. I couldn't think of touching one of those until I had a few years of experience and some track time on me. Talk about engines making power- go look up some of the specs on those. It's crazy for a bike.
Back to top Go down
mr taco
Redlining into Fourth
Redlining into Fourth
mr taco

Male

PostSubject: Re: Unique/notable engines   Unique/notable engines EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 2:09 pm

those are excellent platforms for a 3cyl, just not the one they put in the geo
Back to top Go down
srs14
Roasting Tires
Roasting Tires

Male
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Unique/notable engines   Unique/notable engines EmptySat Oct 18, 2008 1:30 am

mr taco wrote:
i know this sounds cliche, but i have to throw the 2jz out there.
here's why:

its one of the few engines with a "square" balance. it has the same amount of stroke as it does bore. at an 86mm wide and long, its rotation is balanced as perfectly as possible. this obviously makes for a ton of potential for power. not to mention that it came stock with forged internals capable of 700+ horsepower. the head flows like a race engine from the factory, and leaves little room for improvement. later models even had VVT-i, variable valve timing it which added a 15hp. it is hands-down the best motor to drop in a car as is and just turn up the boost.

OK
please no flaming, i hate to admit it, but another great engine is the honda D series.
obviously you cant slap on a turbo and get 300hp and drive it for more than 5 miles, BUT if you want to talk about volumetric efficiency, this is your motor. D series are all single cam 4cyls that produce between 89-140hp, and i wont mention the torque =D. Take the d16z6 for example, i think it makes around 126chp with 1.6l. most rival engines from other manufactures couldnt squeeze 100 out of the same displacement WITH 2 CAMS *cough* celica *cough* these are damn efficient engines people, and they can be made for some serious fucking power! 300hp d series' with drag radials can hang with 4-500hp domestics, thats a huge gap!

sr20det = 86mmstoke- 86mm bore.
forged internals.
handle 500 hp. not for too long
bullet proof bottem end with main girdle , strong cylinder sleeves.
tcan take to 8K with a few mods.

had many variants.
sr20det- gtir= better main bearing design , wider rod bearings, better turbo.
sr20ve- gtir as well?? its like v-tek on hondas but nissans spin on it
sr20vet- xtrail- the mf mack daddy!!

here is a vid of the rwd sr20det bottem end with a sr20ve v-tek head on it going to 11k rpms!!!
Back to top Go down
mr taco
Redlining into Fourth
Redlining into Fourth
mr taco

Male

PostSubject: Re: Unique/notable engines   Unique/notable engines EmptySat Oct 18, 2008 10:25 am

nice! didnt know the specifics on sr20's til now. that is impressive Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unique/notable engines   Unique/notable engines Empty

Back to top Go down

Unique/notable engines
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
/// Redline Division Motorsports :: Automotive Talk :: General Auto Talk-
Jump to: