HomeHome  WelcomeWelcome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Chugging and lagging in the Prelude, wtf.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Luda Kim
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 273
Your Ride : 92 Prelude
Personal Title : Illest Prelude Ninja
Registration date : 2008-07-03

PostSubject: Chugging and lagging in the Prelude, wtf.   Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:38 am

I must forego swimming and sunbathing today to work on the Prelude ( Sleep )... lol. Seriously, though... it's raining so I should be fine to just shove it in Jason's garage and work from there.

So, I have some craptastic news. Lady (my prelude) was acting real funny yesterday and I can't really figure out what it is yet without researching. I was driving to the boyfriend's parents' house 30 minutes away and the car kept chugging and lagging. It basically felt like it was going out of gas, except I have over three-fourths of the tank filled. I filled the night before last.

If I accelerate, the chugging gets worse; it feels like it's burbling air out of the gas lines or something, I don't know... then, when it didn't chugging, it lags.

One problem after another with this car, huh.

Once it stops chugging, it can pick up some speed after a nice little lag. Can anybody say Burnout ? LOL. Seriously. If I dump the pedal to the floor, it takes a second for it to move, then it feels like I'm doing a burnout going 60mph. WTF?

I'll be taking the Prelude to Jason's later (after he wakes his silly ass up) and hopefully with the both of us we can figure out what it is. I'll be doing some research until I get there, but this chugging/lagging action really needs to stop. It's impairing my driving pretty badly.

As an added "FAIL!" stamped on the Prelude: My car is not only sounding shittier by the day because of it's exhaust leak, but it's also running lean and smellin' stanky. Oh noes. Time to spend forever making her into an assembly-line perfected Prelude before any modifications...

I Loveeee My 4G
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://keesterphotography.wordpress.com
Luda Kim
Administrator
Administrator

Female

PostSubject: Re: Chugging and lagging in the Prelude, wtf.   Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:29 am

Well, I have no idea... lol. It could be the IACV, EACV, small catalytic converter issues, or something else like a bad tank of gas. I've been trying to run my tank low on gas so I could fill up elsewhere and see if that does anything. We'll see after that Smile.

I Loveeee My 4G
Back to top Go down
ludegrl99
Spinning through Second
Spinning through Second

Female
Number of posts : 53
Your Ride : 99 NBP Prelude
Personal Title : queen of darkness
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Chugging and lagging in the Prelude, wtf.   Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:53 pm

Im guessing its your EGR valve. They are know to cause all kinds of lagging/sluggish action and will also cause you to throw all kinds of weird CEL's. Including miss fire in all cylinders.
But the cheapest thing to tackle first is the spark plugs and wires. Then fill up and add some gas or injector cleaner. If these dont improve it then the last resort is the EGR valve is about 200 buck.
Im needing to replace mine but holding off as long as possible.
Good luck Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Luda Kim
Administrator
Administrator

Female

PostSubject: Re: Chugging and lagging in the Prelude, wtf.   Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:15 am

I haven't thrown any CELs yet... would my EGR still act up if it didn't throw codes? If it threw a code, I'd just look it up and wabam complete-o Very Happy

As far as my spark plugs, they're brand new and the wires are in fairly good shape (one of the ends is broken but that's just the rubbery part). Jason is also going to grab some crazy gas or injector cleaner at work today for me; something Nissan uses on all their cars. And I'm down to just about half a tank, so, here in a day or so I'll refill with a fresh tank and hopefully not get any crappy gas this time around, if that's what was causing it to lag.

I Loveeee My 4G
Back to top Go down
ludegrl99
Spinning through Second
Spinning through Second

Female
Number of posts : 53
Your Ride : 99 NBP Prelude
Personal Title : queen of darkness
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Chugging and lagging in the Prelude, wtf.   Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:36 pm

well it has to be your gas then.
if it were any other ie..spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, injectors, egr you should be getting some kind of cel.
good luck on finding the problem...hopefully it was just the gas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Luda Kim
Administrator
Administrator

Female

PostSubject: Re: Chugging and lagging in the Prelude, wtf.   Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:34 pm

UPDAAAAATE:
I just filled up at 5:30pm. I have yet to drive it like a madhatter but yo, watch out for the next few days while I run through this tank to figure out if it really was the bad tank. Evil or Very Mad

I Loveeee My 4G
Back to top Go down
H22inURface
Roasting Tires
Roasting Tires

Male
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Chugging and lagging in the Prelude, wtf.   Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:55 pm

i wouldnt figure it to be a type of gas issue.. normally thats a long term effect..

Though you shouldnt use low grade gasoline such as racetrack, QuickTrip due to the additives, but stick to Shell station, 7/11, Mobil 1... if possible and a higher octane will burn cleaner..

I'd try swapping out the Fuel Filter.. if a car is run dry to E where its nearly out of gas.. white build up gets in the filter..

have you ever changed it?

Also if thats not it.. I reccommend Seafoam.. This products works great when fed through the vaccum line.. it can save you time in not having to pull the EGR or IACV. it will break down the build up inside the motor.. or a possible clog in the EGR.. etc..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Luda Kim
Administrator
Administrator

Female

PostSubject: Re: Chugging and lagging in the Prelude, wtf.   Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:10 am

It seems to be running fine as of today, but, I have to drive it around a bit more and play with it. Thanks for the extra info:)

I Loveeee My 4G
Back to top Go down
302_Stang

Female
Number of posts : 131
Your Ride : '94 Mustang GT
Personal Title : Ford Lover.

PostSubject: Re: Chugging and lagging in the Prelude, wtf.   Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:28 pm

Lol.

It's because you're missing four cylinders honey. <3

Next on the list : Flowmasters, 4.10s.

"I live my life a 1/4 mile at a time. For those 18 seconds, I'm free."
"Let me get this straight... your Honda only has 1.7 liters while my bottle of Mountain Dew has 2?"
"So what if my car runs a 16 second 1/4 mile? That just means I have a few more seconds of fun than you."
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/kimber_face
Luda Kim
Administrator
Administrator

Female

PostSubject: Re: Chugging and lagging in the Prelude, wtf.   Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:17 pm

STFU! You have four too many Very Happy

I Loveeee My 4G
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chugging and lagging in the Prelude, wtf.   

Back to top Go down

Chugging and lagging in the Prelude, wtf.
Page 1 of 1